Re: [RC] New Rider Proposals - Truman Prevatt

I haven't just looked at FL but the SE normally has the highest metabolic pull rate. However, that's not the whole story. The SE normally has the highest pull rate so to get a good picture you have to normalize the types of pulls by the pull rate. When you do that you have the distribution of the pulls. This is the "rest of the story" - how the pulls are distriburted. That is of the pulls what percent comes from metabolic, lameness, etc.

I started to do that but got sidetracked. In 2002 the PS had the highest precentage from metabolics. The SE had the highest from lameness. There was basically no trends to this. It was all over the screen from year to year. I suspect what happens in a "normal year" the FL heat, humidity and sand get to them. But given a few humid rides in Southern CA could tip the scale since their horses are not used to any humidity.

Maybe I'll go back and relook at that when all the rides for 2003 have made the database.

But your are right - add heat, humidity and sand and you can have a real challenge. Maybe someone should look at holding the NC in the Ocala NF - wouldn't need pads.

Truman

Teri wrote:

My personal feelings and I have ridden in the Midwest, in Texas and
California and now in Florida.  Florida weather is the hardest to ride in.
WHY!  Because of the natural elements.  HEAT, HUMIDITY and DEEP SAND.......

Here is my thinking and maybe, Truman you might have stats on this, are
there more lameness pulls in the west due to the rocky terrain than there is
in the southeast.  And because of the heat, humidity and DEEEEEEEP sand
wouldn't their be more metabolic pulls than in the west.  I would like to
see stats on this subject.  I am very curious.

Teri Hunter