Re: [RC] Spanish Mustang 100 Mi Prospect vs. Arab 100 Mi Prospect...any advice? - Vicki Austin

Deborah,   Your Spanish Mustang is NOT the same as the
other (BLM) mustangs.   They are bred specifically for
their genetics and there are only about 3,000 in the
US.    We have one (got her by accident, long story)
and she is amazing.  She is built for endurance,
tough, willing, will not stop unless asked to, EDPPs,
is very managable, sweet and kind (unless you touch
her udder).   She is an overo, 14.3 hands, with
cannons of 8"in front and 9" hind, large tough round
feet (farrier never has to shape shoes for her they
fit right out of the box)  goes barefoot until we take
her into the rocky mountains we have in Maine.  She
grows a wooly coat in the winter and never seems cold
although I put blankets on her as I cannot put them on
my very cold Arab without blanketing her as well (hers
are just a lighter version)  She is my husbands horse
and although my husband has only done a few rides, she
was only eliminated from one ride (because of
scratches that we could not treat on a ride)   I rode
her when we first got her to make sure she was safe
for husband and students that I had.  Found that she
works in the ring as well as on trail. She has gaits
as smooth as silk. A walk that my Arab has to trot to
keep up with and a trot that he has to canter to keep
up with.  She has never said no or sulked because we
were heading away from home. She always acts the same
wheather she is ridden at home or away, alone or in a
group, going towards home or away from home.  She is
always the same.  Very reliable.  She does not have
what I would call a pretty head, never flags tail, and
doesn't bounce when she trots (very good for husbands
back) We like her  willing disposition and
comformation so much that we have bred her to an Arab
who has classic beauty, beautiful head, bounce in step
and those quality that I love in the Arab in hopes of
getting a super horse of color.  If we like what we
get we will breed her again to the same stallion.

OK now my WONDERFUL beloved Arab,  He has done a lot
of rides both CTR and Edurance.  I have had A LOT of
horses come my way, most of whom were Arabs.  He has
always been a challenge, but I have been able to do
everything I have wanted with him  (dressage to second
level, eventing pre novice, parades, CTR, Endurance,
pleasure rides, guided trail rides)  He is the love of
my life BUT he sulks when leaving home and then acts
like he hasn't been ridden for years when we are
headed home, he uses up his energy (if I let him) at
an endurance ride and then gets board and pokes along
at about 80 miles of a hundred miler,  on CTRs he is
so bouncy and energetic at the pre ride vetting that
he always gets above average on scores and then when
we are done the ride he is just tonned down enough to
get only average and that knocks a lot of points off.
He had ulcers (all better now) has low heel, long toe
condition (which many arabs seem to have and my
farrier is able to keep under control so it looks like
he has as good feet as my husbands Spanish Mustang.
He gets cold in the winter, cold in the rain, needs
lots of fat food, (to keep his weight up , is picky
about his hay (has to be just so and has to be shaken
out or he will just paw it around to try to shake it
out and is a high maintaince horse all around.  My
husband says I spoil him to much and have make a sissy
out of him but I think he is just a needy horse (which
is ok by me actually) and needs lots of love and
attention.

I say all this only to mention don't pass up a Spanish
Mustang because you are unfamiliar with them.  Do some
reserch as I did when we first got Sierra.  I believe
a few Spanish Mustangs have won Tevis amongst other
Endurance rides.  They are low maintainance, Sierra
get a handfull of grain (litterally) and a couple
flakes of hay and she is still plump.  (Actually they
tell you NOT to feed Spanish Mustangs grain as they
have a pony metabolism but I simply cannot feed grain
with out the other.

Good luck  in your search.  And have fun.

-

-- Deborah Leone <deborahleone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been in the market for a horse to condition and
campaign in the 2004
season...with my goal being the Tevis in 2005.  I've
got myself paced to
build up miles throughout the season with one to two
races a month...and now
I need the horse.  I've screened quite a few
prospects (all arabs) and
haven't found my 7-10 yr ARAB, gelding, no vices,
ARAB,sound and sane, 15+
hd, SUPER HORSE that has several successful
competions under his belt and
has the mind and body to be a happy and healthly
hundred mile ARAB
horse...until now but he's a  14.3 hd...  very
willing... spanish mustang.

I know that mustangs have also done well in
endurance but is there any
drawbacks or advantages anyone would like to comment
on.  I'm interested in
other riders thoughs and experiences.
Thanks,
Deborah Leone

Browse styles for all ages, from the latest looks to
cozy weekend wear at
MSN Shopping.  And check out the beauty products!
http://shopping.msn.com

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/