Re: [RC] Horse "holiday" - Born Country

<ahem> before anyone gets the wrong idea, Paul is my
husband and is just trying to jerk my chain. He knows
my Chagalle is an outstanding horse (at least for me).
I still think it's a great idea to have newbies (that
want to) ride together with a seasoned rider leading,
especially those that have not done a CTR prior to
endurance.  This will give them a "breaking in" to
endurance, learning how to control their horse and
often, especially on the first few rides, learn more
about their horse than they could imagine.  Until you
have ridden your horse competitively at a long
distance (I'm talking 25 miles here), you don't know
how they'll react.  Trail riding alone or with just
one or two others at a consistant trot for 15 or 20
miles and competitive riding for 25 miles with horses
passing, the activity at the vet check and even when a
close horse and rider are having a violent difference
of opinion are very different.  Just thoughts here.

Esther and Chagalle (who quit flipping when we got the
BMSS)

--- paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

---------------------------------
   I think it's a bad idea..... and if the poster of
this had a horseworth a flip, she wouldn't like the
idea either......

Born Country wrote:

As a newbie I think it's a great idea!Esther--- Howard
Bramhall <howard9732@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I think the Aussies have quite a few concepts wecould
draw from.  I really like the idea of theNovice Rider
and Novice horse.  The fact that youhave to earn, in
miles and completions, the right tobe called an
endurance rider.  And, the fact thatthe title can be
withdrawn for poor performance.The Novice horse, down
under, has a controlledspeed.  At some of their rides
they have a Pacer, aseasoned endurance rider, who
leads the group of newriders at a pre-determined
speed.  The new horsemust start out slowly and I love
the idea of a Pacertraveling with the beginners.  This
Pacer couldteach them so much during their first 3
rides.  There's the answer to the "mentor" program for
newriders some have been suggesting on this site.
Areally good Pacer/Mentor leading the Novices downthe
trail for 50 miles is a wonderful idea.  We haveso
many people that I bet would love to do this. Joe
Schoech, down here in the Southeast, would be myfirst
pick.  After spending 150 miles with Joe,there is no
way you would ever have any problemswith your horse in
the future.At a Florida ride last month the ride
manager let megive the newbie talk.  The words just
startedflowing.  The first thing I told them was, "you
mustput your horse ahead of anything else you want to
dowith this sport.  That horse is your
responsibilityand his well being must be the most
important goalyou have while riding in this sport."  I
went on andon and I probably scared a few of them a
little but,I did try to accent why it is we love the
sport asmuch as we do.  I'm not sure if I did a good
job, Isometimes have a tendency to digress.  I do
knowJoe, Tamra, and Truman can do much better, but I
washonored to be asked and I tried to cover
everythingand answer every question.  My point is,
thePacer/Mentor could do this on the trail with
thebeginners, first hand, and I think it's a
wonderfulidea.  Let's set a standard, with a
requirement thatit be maintained, before we start
calling anyone anAmerican endurance rider.cya,Howard
----- Original Message -----   From: Truman Prevatt
To: AERC ; Ride Camp   Sent: Tuesday, December 09,
2003 2:26 PM  Subject: [RC] Horse "holiday"  There are
some intersting things in the AERArules. Of of the
more   interesting and one I think the logbooks
aredirected toward is the   ability of the AERA to
give the horse a "holiday"or vaction as would we   say
in the States. Thinking  about this, it's agood solid
concept and   may be something we should consider.
However, some of the things such as thier formallog
book system would   require a significant change to
implement  andwould probably require   Stewards to
manage. While I like the idea onpaper, I'm not sure we
need   to go that far yet. The log books are also
tosatisify a regulatory   requirement placed on the
AERA by the government.We don't have a formal
regulatory process to respond to so a formal logbook
system like used   by the AERA seems like over kill.

and Ride

http://photos.yahoo.com/