Re: [RC] Wherify.com GPS - Shirley Woolaver

 I have already discussed my intentions with "the people" from Wherify . They assured me that they are able to provide GPS co-ordinates as well as latitude/longitude coordinates, as children are not always lost on a city street.  If that still does not help they can provide aerial photographs.

I don't know about the PCS cellphone system in the U.S.  but they say that it works even through dense brush in the forest and in deep gulleys.   I agree that if your horse is lost where there is no cell reception your sunk, and having no knowledge of what the cellular systems are like in the U.S. I can't comment.

  So again, if this product was offered in Canada I could test it, but they don't, so  I can't , so I guess I won't.

Shirl

I checked out this site and from what I found out it wouldn't work for us.  It uses GPS but also a PCS cellphone system and maps the location of the device on a street map of a city.  If your horse is lost where there is no cell phone reception you are sunk.  Also it seems like the system looks up the location on something like maps.com of cities.  If there is no street address the company won't be able to give you a location.  It gives a detailed description of why the device won't work everywhere, like in the boonies where we ride.  Surely there is another GPS system out there that would work but from what I can see this one won't.  Bummer.  Anyone who knows of another system that WOULD map a location in the boonies please post or e-mail me.

Tracy

Do you Yahoo!?