[RC] make your own tights - Karen Bratcher

Tights are SO easy to sew.  Really.  If I am just making plain one-color tights with no added stripes/patches/padding, from start to finish is only an hour.  I invested in a serger machine a few years ago and use that for the long side seams, but you can do it all with a zigzag stitch on a regular machine, sewing over the seams twice to make sure they're secure.

Suitability www.suitability.com makes a pattern which includes riding tights sized for regular lycras and stretch polartec, riding sweatpants, and a fleece vest.  Included are pattern pieces for inside crotch and/or knee padding, and outer leather knee or full seat patches.  They make dozens of other patterns for riders and horses as well.  Both fabric companies listed later carry both the Suitability and Green Pepper patterns.

The Green Pepper www.thegreenpepper.com makes a kewl diagonal-side-stripe tights pattern -- the stripe starts in the middle of your butt seam on both sides, wraps around the outside of your thigh/knee and ends up at the inside ankle.

Textile Outfitters in Canada has a huge outdoor-wear fabric selection.  www.justmakeit.com  Don't flip at the prices, they're in Canadian dollars (approx. 78 cents US right now), and there is a currency converter button on every fabric price page.  The one time I ordered from them they were awfully slow to ship, but I don't know if they are like that all the time.  I can't find "microfleece" listed, do you mean Polartec Powerdry?  Which is a next-to-skin layer but has no lycra.  For really warm tights, use Polartec Powerstretch. It has a fleece inner face and smooth outer face and is very warm, plus 10% lycra for stretch.  I am a city mail carrier in northern Idaho and I wear them all winter under my culottes because I hate the restrictive feel of pants, and they are warmer than pants anyway.  If it's windy or real cold I just put a GoreTex rainpant shell over them and that's been enough.  I don't use my ski bib unless it's below 20 plus windy :-)

If you're feeling wealthy, they also have Polartec Powershield (nylon outer face, fleece inner face with windstopping membrane in between and 20% lycra), Polartec WindPro Powerstretch (tighter outer face so no membrane needed, 7% lycra), and Polartec Aquashell (less stretch but with neoprene for absolute waterproofness).  I haven't used these yet but am yearning to.

Textile Outfitters also has shiny lycras, cotton lycras (don't use them, they stay soggy forever), supplex lycras (my new fave, looks/feels like cotton but tougher, wicks, doesn't fade), polypropylene lycra, Wickaway, Dryline, and a new fabric called Schoeller Climbing Pant fabric which is supposed to be similar to Spandura.

Seattle Fabrics www.seattlefabrics.com has a good selection though not as much as Textile Outfitters.  They do have Spandura, a super tough mixture of Cordura nylon with lycra, if you do a lot of brush-poppin'.  It has a lot less stretch, I had to make my tights two sizes larger around to be comfortable.

Karen Bratcher
Athol, Idaho