Re: [RC] Aussie / SA Horse & Rider Logbooks - Kristene Smuts

Dearest Howard, "Guday, Mate" is like "y'all" or "ya'll".  The correct way of
addressing a person of Australian origin (or residence, for that matter), is
"G'day, Mate" or "G'day, Sheila" (for the wimmin) ;-)))

Anyway, here in South Africa, we have a similar system.  It's a bit of a pain
in the A** to administrate at a ride, but hay, we don't do anything at 2 in the
morning, anyway ;-))

Our system is a bit less strict - we have one logbook for the horse (yellow)
and one for the rider (blue).  As from next year, the horse logbook is being
changed to the FEI Passport with a section added for endurance mileage log.  We
(and the horses) are also classified as "novice" until doing 250km, but that is
not specified over what period of time.  The speed is not specified either, but
I heard a bird whisper that a rule as to the speed will come into effect next
year, but we're waiting for confirmation of that.  Also, there aren't two
different books either for novice and endurance.

The horse logbook has the following columns :
Date of ride; Ride name; Day number; Rider name; Union number; weight; distance
for that ride; result (in total RIDE time, not overall time which includes vet
holds); Reason (withdrawn / completed / DQ, etc.); signature of ride official;
official stamp of ride.

The rider logbook is very similar, just where the rider details appear on the
horse book, the details for the horse appear in the rider book.

On keeping it dry ...... both books are handed in when entering the ride and
are kept by the admin guys of the ride who fill in the ride time, sign and
stamp.  These are handed back to the rider with the completion certificates at
the end of the ride.  We also have a vet card for each horse that has to be
carried by the rider at all times and presented to the vet when vetting.  Gait,
pulse, hydration and respiration are noted on the card.  At the end of your
last leg (or withdrawal / DQ), the card is kept by the vet and he hands it to
the admin guys for safekeeping.

Cheers
Kristene
South Africa