[RC] [Guest] Safety reins for lost horses - Ridecamp Moderator

Tracy Cann EBBYPONY@xxxxxxx
Just wanted to tell about how I modified my reins so they would break if my horse ever got lost and hung up in them. If you've ever looked at western leather split reins with "water straps" you'll see how I did it. You poke two holes in the ends of the reins about a half inch from the end and a half inch to inch apart. You get the leather loop and bend it in half with two holes punched into each end and put your trigger snap or whatever kind of snap you want in the loop on the ends of your reins. You then get leather string and poke it through one side of the leather loop, through the nylon holes (burned and sealed of course), through the other side of the leather loop and tie them together in a knot. I usually have leather string that is long enough to tie in another knot on the other side of the leather loop as well. This will not break under normal rein stress (my horse pulls badly and he can't break them that way) but if the horse gets hung up or steps on them the leather string will break. I carry leather strings on my saddle in case I fall off and the horse breaks the reins and I need to put them back together. It's easy to do because you just need to replace the leather string unless the horse lost the leather loop. If that happens I just put the string through the nylon rein holes and tie it to itself (the nylon rein). This has gotten me to a vet check where I can make repairs. Just an idea so if your horse ends up alone and gets caught up in his reins, they will break and he won't be stuck. Hope this was understandable. Look in a tack store at western split reins with "water straps" and you'll see what I did.

Tracy