Re: [RC] Selenium again - Heidi Smith

>Seems to me sometime back you referred to a study done at Oregon St. on the average total amount of Se in the diet required to maintain the Se in the proper range. Do you recall this and if so what were the numbers?

8-10 mg per day.  On that subject, I had a long chat with the LMF rep at the PNER convention last weekend about that very subject, and he indicated how frustrated his company is about this.  They've tried to use the Oregon State research to support adding more selenium to their feeds, but FDA won't budge, as long as the NRC continues to use their same old outdated figures.  <sigh>  That was what triggered my comment in a previous post about it taking an Act of God to update the NRC...

FWIW, I followed several horses for 2-3 years (some for longer) by testing every few months, several of which had been receiving the entire 8-10 mg per day as a supplement (in the face of our extreme deficiency in central Oregon), and never even got one into the high side of the normal range.  But we could manage with that (once they got their levels up--as I commented earlier, many had to have injectable selenium before they seemed to assimilate the oral selenium) to keep their blood levels around 190-220 (normal being from 200 to 250).

Heidi