Re: [RC] [RC] Rascal, the hackamore and 1st.Trailride - Laurie Durgin

Oh I know about the "tug of War"!I learned to brace and even use a pulley rein. But I to got tired of my back being sore and didn't want a battle. The Waterford bit seemed to stop that, he doesn't mind it at all and when I had to really brace it, he slowed down a lot quicker without the bucks.Still not perfect, but a plain snaffle is not enough on the trail when he "wants his way". I did pick up a mylar hinged snaffle used and was trying it when we ran into the tush's in the wrong place" thing.Between the vet and I playing phone tag, and my daughters accident it hasn't gotten done yet, and now I'm giving everything for a new truck engine. >sigh< So I am trying to work with the hackamore, be nice all around if it works.
I think the tip off was when we I dismounted and walked a bit(I consider it the equivelent of leaving the room when you really want to kill your kid:} and then I calmly mounted again,and we walked and trotted off and did some direction changes, speed changes etc. and he was fine, and listened . Surprise ,cause of the leerage or just a tantrum cuss he couldn't have his way.Or maybe both.He is a pretty forgiving horse though. Not ever mean or sneaky, just has "Napolean moments".Thanks Laurie and Rascal("mom! I'll never make friends if you keep telling stories about me!!!"

From: Rides 2 Far <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>
To: ladurgin@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   Rascal, the hackamore and 1st.Trailride
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:48:45 -0500

Sounds a little like Kaboot. He simply hates any form of leverage action.
Donna Snyder Smith suggested I try a slow twist snaffle. I don't have one
but would like to try. I'm tired of being pulled on, but he goes with a
lower head and round in the snaffle. Even when he behaves in the English
hack he travels with his head higher.  The *only* time he ever bucks is
maybe at the start of a race in the hackamore when he tries to pull and
feels the hack and throws a fit. In the snaffle we would simply engage in
a mighty tug of war for 12 miles at that point.  Once he relaxes he is
very responsive to the snaffle.  The snaffle & English hack are the
onlythings I've found that I can ride him in. He acts like the hack is
strong, whereas my friend rides a horse who has to be switched to the
snaffle when he won't obey the hack...as if the snaffle is stronger.

Angie

________________________________________________________________ Save over $140/ year on your Internet access Juno Platinum only $9.95/ month - less than ½ the price of MSN! Visit www.juno.com to save money today! Juno. All the Internet. Half the Price.