Re: [RC] fever rings - Jim Holland

One more thing....

There was an excellent article sometime last year in EN by Art King on
the impact of changing the diet and environment of a horse to attend
rides.  For example, having a horse on a grass pasture 24/7, then
hauling him on a trailer for x hours, then feeding him only grain and/or
beet pulp for several days is a drastic change in his diet.  In addition
to being in a strange place, the "bugs" in his digestive system get a
shock.  IMHO, that is "traumatic".

For that reason, I have changed the way I feed.  Although I have enough
pasture to leave my guys out 24/7, I no longer do that.

They WILL have SOME hay (the same hay I feed at rides) in their diet at
all times.
They get beet pulp in their diet at all times, and the same grain I feed
at rides.

I feed nothing at rides that they don't get at home and in the same
proportions....only exception is that I increase the beet pulp/Omolene
mixture and spread it out to many small meals a couple of days before
the ride to "preload" the hindgut and hopefully, to "swing" the
digestive system toward handling beet pulp/Omolene and away from green
grass.

They are confined to a bare paddock with free access to their stalls at
least SOME of the time most every day...enough that they get hungry and
HAVE to eat hay....and they get used to being confined in small areas.
(Like paddocks at rides)  In the summer, they are out at night and in
during the day. (Helps with the flies) "In" means in a bare paddock with
the freedom to come and go in their stalls as they see fit. In the
winter, they are out during the day, weather permitting, and in at
night.

In addition, I make a point of seperating them periodically. Ride one,
leave the other, bring one into the barn for a few minutes, leaving the
other out, etc. as much as possible to get them used to being seperated
from their "buddy" for periods of time.  Some horses handle this better
than others. For example, Sunny buddies up big time and having Magic
leave is traumatic...runs laps, hollers, won't eat, etc.  Magic, after a
while, decided that it's no big deal, the food's good, and Sunny will be
back later. Doesn't even holler anymore.

The objective is to reduce the impact of an environment change when you
attend rides. It's more work for me, fer sure.  Does it work? Hell, I
don't know...but it sounds good on paper. Anything to help my guys and
gain an "edge". :)

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic

Laura Hayes wrote:

Thanks, but to see the actual horn broken really bothers me!  My husband and
I were just talking about it this morning, as Music got horizontal cracks
from the National ride, and I did not ride hard, the weather was good, and
there were not alot of roads....I feel like I am abusing him!  We campaigned
a horse years ago named Rushcreek Kapper, who did the same thing - just
frustrating.

Laura