From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Laura Hayes" <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] fever rings

My mare got rings from the OD. We did as much hard road riding as we
could to simulate the concussion training for it but she still got rings
- not lame. We got rings from going out West in 2001 - was it the
trailer ride or the rides we did? I have no idea.  I have noticed minor
rings from a lot of things. We got rings for West Nile. We will probably
get rings from this cold weather we are having in FL this year. A lot of
things can bring on rings. Unless there is something else, I wouldn't
worry much about it.

Truman

Laura Hayes wrote:

Heidi wrote:<<<In horses without an adequate base, I've also seen rings
corresponding to
past endurance rides.>>>

My gelding, Desco Music, who is 15 this year and has three or four
endurance
seasons and two years LSD before that, gets 'rings' or actual breaks in
the
horn along the coronary band after some rides.  He is never lame from it,
and we can not seem to connect it to hard roads, heat, speed or other
outside factors.  It is very disconcerting to me, but since he appears to
suffer no ill effects, other than cosmetic, I guess I am not willing to
retire him because of it. Any thoughts?

Laura Hayes AERC#2741