Re: [RC] Do you ride in this weather? - Jennifer Judkins

Hey Allegra,  My horse Manny has a pretty good base.  So we get by with an hour or so of ground work and/or ring work during the week and a long ride on the weekend (usually 2-4 hours, 12-20 miles depending on weather and ground conditions).  We just dress warm and bring plenty of coolers.  It helps that I ride with a regular group of friends.  We usually take turns bringing a big pot of soup, build a fire or light a stove and get warm.  Laugh alot;-)

My only warning is that horses can get stiff just like us when we overdo it on the weekend.  I do alot of stretches with him, massages and the such most nights and particularly after a robust ride.  Stay warm, ride long.  Jennifer.

 Allegra <allegrac@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Today I put on 3 layers of clothing and went for a 4 hour ride. Mostly walking and trotting. The snow is 2 feet deep here, and the temperature was between 10 and 8 degree's Fahrenheit. It snowed another 2 - 3 inches while I was riding. We only went 2.5 mph averaged out.
    My question is for people like my self who live in the snowy, cold areas. How often do you ride a week? How long and how far? How hard? I don't have the resources for indoor riding. I want to be ready for Shore to Shore in the spring, but don't want to push to hard in this weather.

 Thank you for your replies,

 Allegra

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:C;Alley
FN:Alley C
NICKNAME:Alley Cat
ORG:Riding Stable;n/a
TITLE:Guide
NOTE:Must remember to call Sarah
ADR;WORK:;n/a;;Allegan;Michigan;;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:n/a=0D=0AAllegan, Michigan=0D=0AUSA
ADR;HOME:;;;;Michigan;;USA
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Michigan=0D=0AUSA
X-WAB-GENDER:1
BDAY:19870508
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:allegrac@xxxxxxxxxxx
REV:20030126T235858Z