[RC] Old Macs and Ice studs - Jennifer Judkins

OK  I promised to give a report on the Old Macs and Ice Studs.  What I did was:  Drill holes (4) in the soles of the old Macs to fit rivets able to accept a 1/4 inch screw.  Get 3/8 in screws and have your farrior dab a small amount of borium on the head.  Screw them in and tighten.  Here is my experience:

Great traction on ice and snow, BUT if you are doing any riding on hard surfaces or asphalt, you risk breaking a screw and RISKING YOUR HORSES FOOT!  Today Manny and I tried them (because I wanted to finally) but there wasn't much snow or ice.  He popped two screw, one on each boot.  On one side, the rivet got loose in the boot and got embedded in his sole!  Fortunately I felt he was not right and stopped to pull them before too much damage was done.  It was a superficial injury, but boy it could have been worse.

If there were some way to secure the rivets so they couldn't unseat, I think it would be a good plan.  Anyone have suggestions?

Jennifer.

Do you Yahoo!?