[RC] Treating a tie-up - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

I have a question for the vets and anyone else who has an answer from experience. If a horse ties up, how is it best treated?

This is an important question for some of us because many riders here don't even recognise the symptoms of tying up and horses are usually ridden in areas where it is virtually impossible to go and get them if anything goes wrong. They might be only 5 km from a road, but it's 5 km of soft sand and none of us have 4X4 trailers.

Here are some of the items of "conventional wisdom" that are used locally and I'd like to know if any of them help and/or hurt. Please don't suggest that we ask our vets because most of them are less informed than many of the riders. Vets here are trained to treat chickens, rabbits and water buffalo.

1. The horse has to be left to stand quietly until the muscles unclench. (This makes sense and I know of riders who have stood by their horses for hours in the sun waiting) Muscle relaxants or anti-inflammatories can be given and IV fluids. {My own thought: the muscle relaxants might help, but an anti-inflammatory might just relieve pain allowing the horse to move more than is a good idea. True/False?}

2. A massive dose of Vitamin C can help to break down the lactic acid in the muscle to reduce damage. {My thought: Who knows? Not me.}

3. Molasses and electrolytes given orally help to relax the muscles. {Old wives' tale?}

Opinions on these ideas would be appreciated as well as a decent protocol for the treatment of a tie-up in an isolated area. Also, what exactly causes this to happen? Is it only the extra work after rest?

Maryanne
Cairo