[RC] towing comparisons - Jonni Jewell

I think there are many who pull with 1/2 ton trucks(and lighter), that have
not had the chance to pull with much else to compare. For someone new to
towing a horse trailer, what is their past experience towing?Maybe a boat or
horse trailer?  They think their rig works well, as they have done fine with
it, have had no problems, and it has gotten them to where they want to
go.....so far. Until you pull a few different trailers, with different tow
vehicles, often you will not be aware of how different rigs tow. When you
drive one that is extra stable, and there is NO sway, you can not feel the
trailer pushing you on stops or down hill, and never feel the horses move,
then get in one that is lighter, where every shift of the horses weight
sends you into the next lane, you have over heated brakes from going down a
long grade, and the trailer feels like it is fishtailing back and forth in
the lanes, you will see how different rigs tow different.

if you have only towed with one set up, try to get some friends together, to
drive each others rigs around the block or such. Not only will it make you
aware of which ones feel "safer", it helps you to make decisions on future
trucks and trailers.

We were kind of laughing at the rigs we have had over the years. older
1960's big Sedan type cars, a Jeep Waggoneer, a station wagon, and a 1975
GMC 3/4 ton manual with the "granny gear". All of these pulled my  1975
Circle J two horse trailer. I had a friend who used to have a limo and a 2
horse trailer! Talk about style. Those older BIG cars were heavy, and tough,
with a nice long wheel base. We were foolish to use the jeep. Short wheel
base, and not much weight to it.

Jonni in TX