Re: [RC] [JD's CHILLY Carolia Ride or FIRST RIDE TACTICS - Dyane Smith

I really enjoyed Deb's ride story, but it got me to thinking.  Suni was so
good his first ride, but got crazier for the next two before settling into
the rhythm.

What has been other people's experience with a new horse?  Maybe give a
run-down of the first three rides, how it went, and what you did to improve
the situation.

Dyane

Deb Ambrose mkkgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,
    This was our first LD a year ago, and now our 3rd 50.  Lippy, my
Ara-Appy and I drove down Friday in 68 degree weather, light rain, and
rising wind.  We set up camp in the damp, waited out the rainstorm to vet
in inside the covered arena, and the show was on.  Just before out trot
out, 2 pickups pulled in the side entrance, parked in the middle, and
began
unloading drums, cymbals and amps for the musical entertainment to come.
6
more horses came in to line the complete perimeter of the arena.  Normally
Lippy is pretty silly on our first vetting in, slinging his head and
passing me by.  I took a deep breath, and off we went between trucks and
horses, past the open side door to the far end.  He stretched out and kept
his head by my shoulder, ears up, floating quietly on that soft
footing.  Down and back, good boy!
    Storm passed by, sun went down, wind came up, and BRRRR!  It didn't
freeze overnight, but the wind was still there in the morning as I tacked
up.  I tried to join the last of the 50s as we went down the farm alleys
toward the 1/2 mile open field at the start.  Yes, it was
thrilling.  Someone had hounds in a kennel nearby, and their baying added
to the excitement as we zipped across into the rising sun.  Lip was less
silly than the last few times, and we managed to link up pretty quickly
with Sue Corr-Jackson, whose beautiful chestnut had the steadiest trot.
    This ride has a good bit of road shoulder in the first loop, and we
have no safe place to practice this at home, so thank goodness the ride
mentality kept him thinking "trot down the road, don't worry about the odd
vehicle zipping by".
    Off the road, into the woods, out of the wind for a while, and around
we went.  We took turns leading, although Sue did the greater share, and
got along great.  Cold it was, occasionally we were simultaneously out of
the wind and in the sun.  My chin, forehead, and drippy nose suffered the
most.  Solved the, ahem, chafing problem with 2 pairs of cheap Wal-Mart
tights.
    The only casualty was my poor non-horsey husband crewing, who began to
wonder why I was so happy trotting along at a moderate pace, when most
everyone else was done earlier.  We finished in about 7:30; he preferred
the nearly out-of-control Hallelujah Ride time of 5:55.  I was glad Lippy
was able to relax, eat well and be ridden on a loose rein apart from the
first hectic mile or two.
    We'd love to try a couple of days of the Gator Run, but if Spouse
cannot be persuaded, the Sandhills in March will probably be next, all
things in order.  Big thanks to Tim and Lara Worden for all their
encouragement every time we meet at these SC rides.  If you ever camp next
to them, you'll be glad you did.

Deb Ambrose and Lippy, 150 miles!