From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of MARDEBLINE@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 9:32 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] New Horse Training Questoins

I am about to purchase a 3 1/2 year old Arab.  I have always purchased conditioned horses to ride, but now I want to train and condition my very own.  I know this is a big undertaking but it is something I have always wanted to do!
I will use the John Lyons breaking system (I have used this before on cutting horses and it works great) so this is not my question.
My question for those of you that have done this before is after the breaking process which could take 90 days in the round pen and arena -- what next?
How many days a week on trail?
How long?
At what speed?
When should a very slow 25 be tried? (a big questions that I will be the only one that can answer.)
I hope to have most of the de-spooking done in the arena -- but I also know that even with my seasoned horse we still find bears in the woods.
I want this horse to be all it can be -- so fast, top 10 or winning is NOT in the near future. Just solid good horse that loves what he does and what I am asking him to do!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Deb.