[RC] training new horse - Carol Stiles

Dear Deb, It's been my experience with every horse I've had to send them off to someone crazier than I for the first month and then bring them home for the real training. Don't waste your time in an arena unless you want an arena horse. Get them out on the trails and start working them. If you send a horse off to the trainer in Sept., get him back by Oct. and spend the winter riding him several times a week , by spring you should be ready for a slow 25. I remember the first 25 I took my horse to, the vet looked at me like I was crazy and said," Why are you wasting you time doing a 25, this horse should be doing a 50." I knew  physically he probably could have done a 50 but mentally he was too hyper and needed some training rides. It took several years of fighting him trying to make him go slow but this year I think we finally achieved it. Good Luck, Carol.