[RC] re: advise on first time ride for baby - A. Perez

"I recently bought an 8 month old colt. When I bring him home
this weekend it will be his first trailer ride. I have two
trailers one ramp one step up, both stock type two horse. Any
thoughts on what one to use would be great. Also any advise on
how to go about loading him for this first trip would be nice."

1.  If at all possible, work with him on loading BEFORE the
first trip.  If that's not possible, plan to get there early so
you can take your time loading him.  Feeling hurried or
pressured by time will make you anxious, and the baby may well
pick up on that anxiety.

2.  Don't just lead him to the trailer right off the bat.  Take
a few minutes to talk to him, brush him, lead him around, etc:
take some time to get acquainted.

3.  Use treats to bait him on to he trailer if needed. Lavishly
praise and treat each step in the right direction.  Ignore, or
cally and quietly correct any back-siding or fussing.  Give him
all the time he needs to think about it.  Don't get impatient if
he decides to back out after getting half way on.  Avoid ALL
temptations to hurry him or to use force to get him on the
trailer.  If he started getting scared or seeming confused, take
a break: lead him away fromt he trailer and ask him to do
something he knows how to do (pick up his feet, etc).  Give him
some time to regain his compusure before trying again.  Gently
tapping on this rump with a crop or lunge-whip may help if he
gets 'stuck' halfway up the ramp, but don't escalate to whacking
on him if he is scared or really resisting.

4. If at all possible, load and unload him a couple of times
before loading him 'for good'.  I have found that horses often
fear being trapped in the trailer, and settle down once they
have figured out that they can in deed get out of it once they
are in it.  Of course if getting him on the first time has taken
hours, and it's now 3:00 am, you are justified in shutting the
doors and getting while the getting is good!

5.  Once he is on, take a few minutes to feed him and praise him
before shutting him in.

Enjoy your new baby!

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more