[RC] [Guest] The Jim and Joe Show - Ridecamp Moderator

Bruce Weary bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I am an endurance rider with about 18 years and close to 6000 miles of experience. I have been humbled by this wonderful sport more times than I care to admit. It has brought me some of my most difficult challenges and my most inspiring accomplishments, as I'm certain it has for many of us. However, as I have watched the dialog unfold between Jim and Joe, I am concerned and distressed at the tone that has permeated throughout. Who, besides me would be embarassed to have another equine group, government agency, trail association or other interested organization eavesdrop on our infighting? This is a fantastic sport, faced with some problems that require serious consideration and serious solutions. Let's remember that cooler heads will always prevail in matters such as these. Let's also remember that opinions aren't facts, no matter how loudly they are spoken. A quick review of statistics reveals Joe's endurance career sporting a 99% completion rate over some 12,000 miles and during 25 plus years. Jim is currently at 860 miles with a 70% completion rate over eight years or so. Now, while not all experienced endurance riders are knowledgeable, certainly all knowledgeable endurance riders are experienced. In anticipation of indignance toward the comparison of these statistics, I will say that they don't show Joe to be the Oracle at Delphi, nor that Jim's contributions aren't as worthy. However, I'm reminded of a quote that suits this situation-- "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong....But that's the way to bet."
With the passion and knowledge and concern for the horse that permeates this sport, I'm quite confident that we will arrive at workable solutions that will effectively address and help to prevent equine deaths. This process of birthing ideas for problem solving is always a painful one, and, as it turns out, necessary. However,Jim, I'll suggest a little less Semper Fi, and rather ask: "Temper? Why?"
Let's go slow and get there quicker.
Bruce Weary