[RC] Impatient horse trailering troubles - Carol Stiles

Jen wrote, "I am new to horse trailering and I need some advice and/or Tips for trailering my naughty horse.  I have a two horse straight load trailer. I have taken out the divider to give my horse a little more room since I only have one horse. Lately whenever I must stop at a stop light or stop for any reason really he will proceed to kick and paw in the trailer until we resume movement. "

Jen, I had a friend that had the same problem and to get her horse used to the trailer she would take load him up on purpose on days she wasn't going to ride and take him with her while she went to the grocery store or to have lunch at a restaurant, etc... just to get him used to being in the trailer. This won't be easy on your trailer, but he will eventually calm down. Put wraps on his legs so he doesn't hurt them. Give him some treats, apples, etc... in the trailer so he learns to enjoy his time in there. I have a 2-horse also and have found my horses seem to be more secure with the center panel in place because it stabilizes them going around corners. When my horse was young I actually would load him up just to take him to a lush meadow and let him graze for awhile, didn't even ride him. This was a special treat for him and he loves being in the trailer now.  As far as your trailer, as long as it's safe (good floor, etc... ) it's probably better that you have an old one for now, you don't have to worry about him denting it. :)
Good Luck, Carol.