[RC] step up or ramp for first time ride for baby - Jonni Jewell

I am one to prefer ramp trailers. I have found loading the babies in them a
tad easier. Ideally, one can spend time loading the baby, feeding some sort
of treat that the foal thinks is yummy, having them stand in the trailer,
unload, reload, stand, then work to closing the trailer,having them stand
again, all the while having it be a pleasant experience by giving them
treats, scratching them etc. I like to take them for very short trips, even
just moving the trailer a few hundred feet, and then checking on them, and
reassuring them it is OK.  But, since it sounds like you don't have the
option, and you have to load and go, you have some other decisions to make.
I personally might consider taking a horse that hauls real well with me, to
keep the foal company on the trailer. The shock of leaving where it grew up,
and being stuffed into a metal box that moves might not be as traumatic if
it had some company.  You will also have the decision to tie, or not tie the
colt. Is it even broke to tie? If the trailer is safe, with solid walls (not
open slats like some stock trailers), and the interior does not have any
hazards such as gates, latches etc., you may want to leave him untied. But,
there are any openings he could try to crawl out of, such as windows, low
doors etc., you might be safer to tie him.

Good luck with your new colt. Make his trio home as safe, and comfortable as
you can.

Jonni