Re: [RC] [RC] another proposal - Truman Prevatt - KimFue

Actually Heidi is right on the money on this. Too much baggage comes with pulls - too many egos riding on it.

If this is how many feel then we as a collective group should not put so much emphasis on the "pulls" a horse /rider has.  I can think of a couple examples right off hand that could discourage riders from pulling. I read them on or found the link on ridecamp.  1.  On the NC website this year next to each entrant was that horse's completion record and pull record for the mileage division they were entered in.  Would someone tell me why listing the number of pulls (pulls were not listed but attempts and completions were) each horse had was important?  I can see listing the number of completions but I don't think it was necessary to include pulls.  2.  In discussing the use of log books and using them as a way to keep track of horses the number of pulls would be used to penalize riders/horses.
3.  How many time have you read/heard the accolades/brags on a horse that has never had a pull.  So & so has x number of miles with no pulls. We over emphasize the importance of never pulling a horse in competition.

A pull for a horse is no more than a "bad hair day" for the horse. It should not be a stigma and it is not for the horse - only for the rider's ego.

It's really nice to talk the talk.  If this is how the majority of endurance riders feel we need to walk the walk.  As a group we decide what the stigma should be.  If pulling is not going to be considered a stigma in this sport our actions toward our peers need to reflect this.  Maybe the ideal in the sport should not be just the completion but the quality of the completion. As it is now, completion rates and pulls rates are used as bragging rights and
one-upping other riders.

It's good to see a few posts come out and say that pulling a horse should not be considered a failure.  Kudos to Truman, Heidi, and the others that posted on this topic.  The more we emphasize this the easier it will be for some riders to make that pull call instead of gambling on a completion.

Kim
AERC #6648