[RC] road concussion with 4 year old - Karen Sullivan

I am hoping to get some imput on my worry about hard-road and trail concussion on my 4 1/2 year old.

She has been out regularly on the trail since age 6 months, starting with 20 minute jaunts, to up to 2 hours without a rider, to up to carrying me an hour and half.  She currently goes out no more than 25 miles a week total , alternates from running loose on trotting and hilly rides, riding by me on trails walk/jog, a 1/2 hour lesson under saddle a week, and maybe a day a week wandering around trimming trail.

She is Arab/paint, medium bone, great big feet, 15.3h.  She has no leg or conformation faults the vets and I can see, and has never been lame, popped splints, etc.  It has been a long, slow progressive exercise program.

This weekend we did a ride out a dirt road, 9.5 miles total.  After a very long walking warmup, we slow jogged the slight hill about 2.5 miles.  I worry as the road is as hard as pavement. I try to keep her on the soft shoulder as much as possible, but a lot of the riding and exercise this horse does is on very hard, unyielding ground.  I got off and walked her on the down hill, then back on to ride on the flat.

Most of our trails here (northern Calif) are either very hard or rocky.  I am sure folks on other parts of the country deal with this too, but would appreciate any comments regarding riding on hard surfaces, how much is too much for this age, etc.  I was not on her back more than a 1/2 hour until this fall......and I know people will laugh as some are doing 25 mile rides on 4 year olds.....but this girl has been still growing and I think her back should be fairly mature before carrying my weight (under 160 with tack)

This mare has been a very long term project, with me putting a lot of thought into exercise and feeding.  I am aiming for long term soundness as a solid trail partner.  There is no way I can tell yet if she has the reoveries or desire for endurance.....however, that was what I bought her for. She is pretty darn laid back and calm.
Karen