[RC] personality change as mares gain status in the herd........? - Karen Sullivan

Another question.

I have had two mares in the last several years that were extremely laid back, solid, non spooky and reliable trail horses.  One was Anglo Arab, and one is the current Arab Morgan.  Both were second under alpha mares, until my endurance mare was retired. When that mare left, the Anglo became herd boss. She definatly changed from a ploddy rent-type horse into a much more alert, competitve horse on the trail.  It was very nice to have the added energy with her!

Now the Arab Morgan is alpha mare.  SHE has gone from very calm trail horse to much, much more alert and a bit spooky on the trail.  She is fine on familiar trails, but more spooky in front on new trails (age 7).

I am wondering if, when they become alpha mare,they have some sort of added instinct to be alert?

Has anyone else noticed behavior like this?
Karen