[RC] Pulse Changes - Roger Rittenhouse

FROM   Roger Rittenhouse     roger@xxxxxxxxxxx
I have sat here for a number of weeks reading all the comments and
'discussions'  herein.
I had to think   about how to present my opinions on the issue, if
at all.
 I will try.

 The BOD members RUN AERC. A committee of 25.
There is NO method defined for the riders to force the BOD to pass anything.
 No referendum, no annual membership meeting where we vote. We do not
 vote on the issues.

All the posts herein will not force them do anything they don't believe
is  required. SOME (not all) BOD members do not even consider what members say
as
relevant IF it is NOT within their own agenda. Some  will listen but
do not expect any major action, comments or changes. The BOD is the final
supreme
authority.  WE can only vote for the BOD members.

As one who has limited experience with actually being on the BOD, I
think I know  the real way things are done compared to you-all who just
 THINK you know.  You just don't know how it really works.

A number of the current lifer BOD members think those who bitch the most and the
loudest are just problems and trouble makers and what ever else fits
and you are ignored and you are not given any creditable
acknowledgement of your position or experience.

I have suggested a few of you  most radical ranters to get on the BOD,
put your mouth where the rules and policies are set. Don't like the
way the BOD is managed from within  - then do something positive but rant
here. You may think the court of public opinion and
pressure  will have an impact  - you are in a river of DENILE.
The 'power' of the limited online press will do nothing. Ranting
harassment will not have much impact.

I tried it, the BOD, it was not for me, but for others you just may make a
better difference. I could not deal with the status quo,  I am not a
professional
politician and found out I would not 'go along to get along'.

How many NEW members will we get on the BOD  this time?   Most are the same
ones we have had for
years.??

The same career BOD members keep running and no one runs against them
and the same power base is still there. John Teeter posted a few
comments on this issue. Add to that the committee membership- sort of
runs the same as the BOD, the same rider members year after year.
WHY??
NO ONE ELSE WANTS the jobs? Eventually the ultimate power controls...

What about the DAL slots for next year any new members want the job?

Agenda will not pass, that does fit with those who apply extreme political
pressure
and will manipulate  those who want to make a change for the good - into
submission. Its the way it is. Just ask a few of the other 'use to be'
BOD members who you never here from ,on any issue, anymore.
There are a few of the  commentators herein who 'use to be on the BOD' but are
not running again, they are just making  many 'comments'.

You will NOT ever change the way AERC is managed or run and thus the
RULES of how the sport is run, until you  change the control of the BOD.

However there may be some saving grace with Bob M  getting back into
the mix.

The fast fix will not work.
Recall some past knee jerk rules and policies that were done in haste
without fully understanding the ramifications. Rules were passed on a
Sunday BOD and over turned on MONDAY by EO and the EC. LD mods of
years ago lasted 6 months.

This 'problem' is not going to be resolved with  the fast quickie fix
solution or 'we must do anything' reaction to make it look like we are
fixing a 'problem'.  This has to be taken in stages.

Lets look at the previous rants of the months. Which were going save
us all and the horses from ourselves.
Here are  just a few of :
WHAT YOU WILL NEVER SEE GET PASSED

1. 2 VC on a 50
2. 2 Vets at all rides
3. JR Min Age
4. Helmets
5. Horse abuse policy
6. Term Limits
7. Smaller Board
8. Voting for the Officers
9. Conflict of Interest Policy  ops sorry - was passed just not
happening.
and others that I forgot-
and lastly you will NOT see this new latest 'fix-all rule of the
month' become law.

If you are still reading and NOT flaming me back.. then here is what I
think you may see come forth.

Place this under the heading of 'we have to do something' or this crap will not
stop..  This may or could happen with the new BOD on Sunday at the
Conv.

1. Lower the FINISH line completion pulse down  time AND the final Vet
Exam from  60 minutes  to 30 minutes. That may be on the table. AND it is a good
valid change, however with no facts to support the change but it
should happen.
That is, will it fix anything wrong.? NO,  but its easy and
will have no impact either way.   It LOOKS GOOD.
Leave the VC recovery at 30 minutes.

2. Set the recovery pulse to 60 for the VC and the finish  same
comments as above, but  it is an easy fix- and it  looks good - will it 'fix'
THE
problem? heck no.
On this point, what will happen, the limit is set to 60 then a vet comes
along and sets it to 56 then the next one sets it to 54, all under the
policy in the Rules that says a vet and RM do anything they please
under the cover of welfare of the horse. If it was up to me and its
not, I would set this as a FIXED limit NOT to be changed.

3. Effective 2005 ride season

That's IT. However its a start. I do NOT see any other major  modifications that
are required or would have any chance of passing. Nor should the
radical major changes being bantered about be considered beyond
committee discussion. ANY proposals from the table would NOT be voted
on until they are remanded  back to ALL the impacted committees for
review advice and action. The motions would come out at committee at
the NEXT board meeting where a vote may take place.

Nothing can be done for year 2004 since the 2004 ride season
starts in 3 weeks and since the policy is, to NOT make rule changes once
the season has started, and all changes must be presented in EN by the
BOD to the members for comment. The rules and policy changes if any,
will be made public at the convention in Feb, then posted in EN with a
comment period of x. The Mid year meeting 2004  would be when the
changes are voted on and passed  with implementation in DEC 2004 for ride year
2005.

So all these ranting will do nothing to  fix the alleged problem;
That being, horses that don't pass a 'recovery xyz' criteria are
over-ridden or may be treated or  may die .

All the other issues and fixes are just stuff to talk and rant about.

I wont go into my 30 yrs experience  since that carries no significance,
but until I see some real facts that  support this 'new idea' -....
you can figure that one out?

Yes horses will continue to die,no matter what the rules are, no
matter what the board does and no matter how much we try to educate,
its going to happen. You want to make sure the probability is
mitigated, then change the way we play the game. (another one of the elite
proposals designed to remove any form of a competition from the sport
as we know it, and of course fix all the problems.)

 And one more  point, the HWC - its nice -it will provide some form of
advice and  education  not much else. While I sure respect all those
on the HWC - they have NO real authority to do anything. They are
adhoc, the BOD and the Pres can drop them as fast as they created
them. ANY policy coming out of this HWC is non binding, they sure
cannot even write letters of censure to the 'bad' riders without the
approval of  the BOD.   But any recommendation
for policy and rule changes should be and I am sure
will be, considered by the 'real  committees' but do not expect any major
revelations.

Ok now that I surely have pissed many off - again - have it - I wont be
going to any rides till Dec 13 so I can keep up on the bashing.

I did cross post as many have done.

Roger Rittenhouse SE 8263

IF you respond  :) please let the subject line alone - I have spam
mail sw running and some emails may get trashed. Blank or non
descriptive subjects will not work