Re: [RC] [Guest] Matthew's Proposal - Jim Holland

Karen Nelson knelson@xxxxxxxxxx

If there is going to be a reduction of time to "recover" down to 15 minutes
for weight division placings, I think you are creating a couple of
nightmares for AERC and Ride Managers.

No "change", especially a significant one, happens without
inconveniencing SOMEBODY. That includes everything from new laws passed
by Congress to the remodeling of the grocery store....but people adapt.

1.  The "IN TIMERS"  MUST be competent person who have a solid idea of what
their job is, and they MUST be in their proper place AT ALL TIMES.  I have
seen many a ride that had NO intimer to start the 30 minute window timing
process. Or had only ONE intimer who didn't realize how inportant their job
was and went to the potty, or..etc,etc.etc.

This should happen under the CURRENT recovery time. This is a Ride
Manager problem.  Sounds like riders need to start turning in Ride
Evaluation Forms with some comments. Of course, we have Nancy Gooch, Sam
Bartee, Nina Barnett, etc..

2.  This is further complicated by the rider who is in the front/middle of
a pack and who blows past the intimer in a daze, and pulls the intimer
offpost and causes a cluster_____.

If they miss the cutoff a couple of times and get disqualified, they
will quit doing that. Riders are not only reponsible for the welfare of
their horse, but for knowing how to get into and out of the vet check
without inconveniencing others. It's not the in-timer's job to manage
your ride for you.

3.  ALL THE CLOCKS & WATCHES will have to be synchronized much more exactly
than most of rides I  have seen in the past. I have seen some rides where
watches/clocks were as much as 6 minutes different.

Large face clocks are common...and cheap. SE rides have one sitting at
the start point of the ride that everyone uses as the "official" time.
All you gotta do is sync your watch with it when you give your number to
the start timer. Piece of cake....

4.  There will have to be an abundance of P/R persons so that a horse which
has met the criteria inside the 15 minutes doesn't get penalized and sent
out of the 15 minute window to the 15+ -30 minutes window because they had
to wait for a P/R person.

A ride that has this problem needs to change the P/R routine. In the SE,
this is NEVER a problem, no matter how long the line.  If fact, this can
help you by giving you longer to recover. When you're down, you simply
yell your number to the P/R timer, who jots down the time immediately.
When you reach the P/R person, they simply VERIFY that you're down. The
down time is the one YOU gave the P/R timer. 100% Accurate! Sounds like
a procedural problem to me! :)

5.  Since horses have to be presented UNSADDLED for the mid-day stops, this
15 min window would prevent a rider from going to his/her trailer to lay
down their saddle in a safe and clean place. A marginal horse is always
advised to have the saddle removed so that the recovery can occur. If we
place this much emphasis on the 15 minute recovery, are we going to have
battles about creating a SWAMP by the P/R area, as crew tries to cool off
the horse with copius amounts of water? I have taken a LARGE tarp to Camp
Far West ride just for saddles by the vet area, and it gets filled up in a
hurry, but it also causes a bit of a traffic jam because there is only one
tarp. I don't want to add a swamp to the same area.

Just about every tack shop sells folding tack racks. I sometimes don't
bother...just take one of those folding-canvas-chairs-in-a-bag that
rides sometimes give out as awards to dump my saddle on.  Cheap,
lightweight, very small, strap on the bag makes it easy to carry. I
remove my saddle EVERY vet check and could easily meet a 15 minute
recovery time. Our vet check areas are ALWAYS a swamp! <grin>

6.  All of the extra volunteers you have just required cause an extra food
or whatever thankyou burden for the ride manager.

I don't think we would need any in the SE...just business as usual.

7. What happens when a ride doesn't have alot of entries?  The weight
divisions are barely filling up the 10 in each weight grouping to get full
points.  Now you are starting 11 in the XXXX weight division, but during
the day, 3 fall out of the "placing" standings and into the "Completion
Only" standings in that division (for example). I see this as a nightmare
for the ride manager to know who got shuffled out of  "Active" to more or
less "inactive" status when they are figuring the ride points for weight
divisions, and giving out awards which were purchased in advance by the
ride manager.

Dropping below 10 can happen now....but EVERYONE has to ride to the same
critera, so EVERYBODY should be impacted the same, so I doubt you will
see this happen any more often under the 15 minute criteria.

Again, no change happens without impacting somebody. IMHO, a little more
effort by the Ride Manager, and insisting on better co-operation by the
riders is a small price to pay to possibly save the life of a horse.

There are many reasons why a horse won't recover in 15 minutes.  Bringing a
hairy horse to a warmer ride, and not wishing to body clip because the
horse has to go back home to cold is one.  A young or inexperienced horse
who is totally fascinated with the large number of pals he/she has just
discovered who won't settle down in 15 minutes.  Is the horse fit?  Might
never know-  it certainly is jazzed up with all of it's new friends.....

All this is solved by judgement, slowing down, and training. Ride "that
trail on that day on that horse under those conditions". That is the
OBJECTIVE of Matthew's proposal. Condition, train, do your homework,
ride appropriately and all these "problems" will go away....

JMHO.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic