[RC] Regional awards and more... - terre

I would like to see AERC discontinue giving regional awards, and leave them entirely to the regional organizations like PNER, SERA, etc. Most regions already have strong organizations; this would impel the ones that don't to form one! AERC could 'sponsor' such awards, if need be.
I (and others, such as Truman) have long felt that strong regional organizations would greatly benefit the administration of AERC. Issues such as the ones we have been discussing re the MMS pulse recovery proposal can be hashed out among the membership at this level, and the directors take the opinions of their membership forward to the BOD--a more representative form of democracy. Other vital issues such as trail preservation and education are also better dealt with "locally".
AERC needs to support the regional organizations, and where they don't exist help them to be formed. It is too big, too remote to effectively deal with a lot of our concerns. At present, there is no real "flow" from the members thru their regional directors and up--it works that way to a large extent in the regions that have well-established organizations, but I don't believe it is a formal process. Strengthening the regional organizations by giving them the dispersal of regional awards might be a big step forward.

terre