Re: [RC] another proposal -whoa - GoldenCMK

In a message dated 11/23/03 12:25:45 PM Central Standard Time, steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I've heard many describe Endurance as one of the most physically demanding equine sports, if not the most (Eventing is also very demanding on the horse and rider).

For the sake of conversation - do you think that any sort of qualification system would be reasonable - for either horse or rider, or both?

Well, that goes without saying I would think. Any creature that runs 25 to 100 miles in one day carrying 100 to 250 lbs would be demanding like nothing else I know of.

I understand the idea of a qualification system but I cannot see how you could ever have one that would work for everyone. The endurance crowd is such a diverse group, some who have more than enough horse sense, some who have none, some that are vets, some show horse trainers, some who are very new to horses and then those born in a saddle. In my opinion it boils down to common sense and one thing I have learned... apparently common sense cannot be taught ... unfortunately.

There are people out there who should NOT own horses but you cannot control that, well the same goes for endurance, there are people out there who should NOT be doing endurance but who is going to say who is worthy and who is qualified? The best thing we can do is educate. Possibly making it mandatory that anyone who is riding their first ride go to a pre ride meeting where someone explains everything to them from trail edict to taking pulse to gut sounds to basic care.

Maria