Re: [RC] another proposal -whoa - GoldenCMK

In a message dated 11/23/03 9:57:27 AM Central Standard Time, steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Novice division- 25-35 miles (LD)
Intermediate division- 50 - 75 miles
Advanced- 80 - 100 miles

Horses and riders had to qualify in each division before they advanced -
e.g. complete x Novice rider before being allowed to enter Intermediate, and
complete x Intermediate rides before going to Advanced.

This might sound good in theory but it is not punishing people who do not deserve it? What about people who have ridden their whole lives but are new to endurance? Do they really need this?  Are newbies the ones who have horses dying? Personally I have seen very experienced endurance riders making the biggest mistakes. Granted newbies DO need to be educated but you cannot protect horses from stupid mistakes not matter the experience or level because people make mistakes, especially in the heat of battle. I believe many riders turn a blind eye to a problem because they are hoping it is not what they know it to be so they keep on going, sometimes they wait too long to make the right decision.

My husband rode Biltmore this spring and when he came to vet check after 84 miles the minute I saw the mare I knew she was done. He said the same thing when he got off. She past the vet check fine, but we both knew something was not right. Many riders would have gone on because of the factors we came all the way from Texas, we were close to finishing, cost, time... All of which I understand and felt. And maybe she would have completed if he had gone back out but then again maybe she would have gone one more mile and dropped dead. It was the latter that made the decision to pull easy.

There is risk in this sport. But it is up to the riders to protect their horses, all the rules in the world cannot help if a rider is not willing do what is best for their horse first before winning or whatever they are chasing.

Maria