Re: [RC] another proposal - Heidi Smith

So many different reasons. I *ride* because I was born with a love for
horses and love to be on them. I *compete* because I like to test myself
and my horse against others with a variety of different goals that often
change in mind. That's why my competition *really* doesn't know whether
they "beat" me or not....I may have had a different goal that day (like
for my horse to have a higher vet score) so maybe I really beat them. :-)

Well put, Angie.  My personal goal on ride day is the best possible ride on
that particular horse on that particular trail on that particular day.  If
the horse outclasses the others there and I am 2nd, it wasn't my best.  If
the horse is an old mileage hack and we aren't as fit as we ought to be, and
we make it around the course successfully in last place and it was our best
effort, then I'm a winner.

Like you, I ride because I love horses and love to be on them.  But that
said, life and circumstances and middle age and health have all conspired to
make it not as fun sometimes, and I need a long-term goal to shoot for.  For
me, that has always been the points system, in one form or another.  One
year when we still had national overall points championships, my goal was
the AERC Top 25.  We made it--20-somethingth--and I will always cherish that
as my best year in the sport.  As to the health of my mare--we came home
from our last ride (back-to-back 50s on Thanksgiving weekend) in a snow
storm, I turned her out in a foot and a half of snow with more coming down,
and she took out across the pasture at an exuberant "park trot" feeling like
a million bucks--the real capper on a 1000+ mile season.  I may never be
able to ride at that level again, but it is still my most cherished
accomplishment.  But even now, there are lesser goals that revolve around
points--can I persevere enough to make the weight division standings in my
region?  Can I hang in there long enough and do a good enough job to make
the PNER standings?  This is my first year "back" and nope, I didn't make
those goals (nor did I expect to this year), but they are still the carrots
that dangle out there and beckon me.  They are rewards not for just getting
around the trail, but for either doing it enough better than most of the
pack on a given day to earn bonus points, or for doing enough more of it to
make up the difference in mileage.  Either way is a mark of excellence.  And
without that mark of excellence, I might as well just stay home, save my
money, and go ride 50 miles out behind the house, quite frankly.  (Is the
coffee on over there in Montana, Drin?  See ya for lunch...)

Heidi