[RC] Rule 5 and 5.3 - Scott Johnson

I hope someone can clarify this for me: I must be interpreting something wrong, because it seems to me that rule 5 contradicts rule 5.3. Is hold time included or not in completeion time?

Dede

5.? The ride must provide a specific amount of time (total competition time)? which will include all stops and holds, and within which competitors? must complete the ride to qualify for placing or completion.
5.1 There will be no minimum time limit for completion.
5.2 Maximum competition time will be according to the following prescription: 12 hours for 50 miles, 24 hours for 100 miles, and other distances to be according to the chart in Appendix A. In the case of 2 day 100’s, 3 day 150’s and similar events, the total completion time allowed is based on daily mileage.
5.3 Riding time is the time used by the competitors to complete the course, excluding all hold times, and is the time used for AERC ride results.