Re: [RC] another proposal - rides2far

encourages riders to go faster and farther and more often than their
Let's get rid of the points system. Let each day, each ride/race, be
the only determining factor for how we ride and what we ask of our
horses.

I totally disagree with this idea. I remember reading a book about the
early days of NASCAR. Drivers were trashing their cars right and left
going all out for each individual win. To ENCOURAGE THEM TO TAKE CARE OF
THEIR CARS they switched to a year end award, with points accrued over
the entire season so they would have to think long term. If you trash
year end awards you go to what the most elite international riders are
doing. You have a stable full of horses, go for the win every ride and
who cares if they're not back for the next one, you have others. The
Longevity project Karen took up recognizes riders who have stayed with
one horse for a long time. I think this idea would encourage the "mount
for the day"...the total opposite.

I don't believe I've seen any worn out horses going for one more win at
the end of the season, but then we really don't have so many rides down
here so that someone could do a five day one week and go right out and do
another. However, I did notice an article on a horse in last month's EN
bragging about doing something like 600 miles on one set of shoes. That
does seem excessive, but we rewarded them by giving them public praise
for having accomplished it...so someone else may try to beat that record.
I'm leaning towards the concept of not abolishing the current system, but
adding awards in our regional clubs that reward some other positive
behavior rather than simply duplicating the AERC awards. (Starting'em
right awards etc.).

When the year rolls around that your horse is at his peak and it all
feels easy, it's a wonderful thing to go for top 10 and I won't judge
their horses by what mine is capable or not capable of doing right
now...but I still like the idea for titles horses can earn through levels
of accomplishment (right on up to the top levels) and stepping stone
goals for horses starting out.  And...I like John's idea of requiring a
sponsor for flagrant offenders. >eg<

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!