Re: [RC] another proposal - Heidi Smith

Here's my proposal: (and I really mean this)
Let's completely abolish the current point system.

Almost every year-end award that AERC offers, and publishes monthly,
encourages riders to go faster and farther and more often than their
peers,
and sometimes more often than the horse can tolerate, SIMPLY for the sake
of
a jacket or trophy.

The flip side of this is that by taking away awards that target excellence
all year long, you put even more pressure on the one-shot competitions.  I
think we see more problems at these (NC, ROC, Pan-Am, etc.) than we do among
the horses that are managed to go all season.

To many of us, the whole concept of endurance revolves around the notion
that you do your best on any given day within the framework of the fact that
in order to garner year end awards, your horse still has to be fit to run
next weekend or next month, or whenever the next ride is on your calendar.
I've been concerned by the trend toward more and more events where all the
eggs are in one basket, so to speak, where you get your jacket or your
trophy and if your horse never runs again, oh well....  Give me the
year-long point accumulating process over that alternative any time, since
it forces the rider to look ahead and make sure there is enough horse left
at the end of each ride to begin building toward the next one.  THAT is
endurance!

I missed your year-ender, Steph, but I heard nothing but good things about
the performance and the condition of the horses there.  Riders like Regina
Rose on her "Aracheron" underscore what I'm talking about here.

Heidi