Re: [RC] another proposal - Heidi Smith

Hmmmm...not the way I understood it. This DOES need clarification. I
understood "placing" to mean Top Ten and "completion" in this case to
mean the same thing as finishing normally, just not in the Top Ten.

There is a HUGE difference. Under your interpretation, ALL riders would
have to recover within 15 minutes or you get nothing but the "pleasure"
of a trail ride. IMHO, that's the same as reducing the time for recovery
from 30 minutes to 15 minutes....as Lisa suggested. If that IS the case,
why bother with all this? Just drop the recovery to 15 minutes at all
checks and the finish and forget about a "completion only". I think this
interpretation is too drastic a change all at once and would impact too
many riders who are NOT racing.

I understood it to mean ANY placing at all, as well.  And if it only impacts
the Top Ten, why bother?  People race to be 5th HW, clear back 40 riders
down in the pack.  Are their horses any less deserving of consideration with
veterinary criteria than those who come across the line in the first 10
overall places?  The way I understood this is that if you successfully
manage your horse, you are placed according to how you come across the line.
If you are in the next tier, where you push too hard at any one point on the
trail and fail to meet the first tier for competition, you can still
complete and get your mileage by successfully meeting the criteria of the
second tier.  No placing means no placing.  30th is a placing.  9th HW is a
placing, even if there are 50 riders in other divisions and 8 HWs ahead of
you.  If you can't properly care for your horse and meet the first tier of
placing, then you are listed as "completion only" just like the folks who
missed a turn but did the miles, or had some other reason for not quite
getting around the course in the prescribed fashion but that doesn't merit
disqualification.  All we are doing here is raising the bar with regard to
how you take care of your horse and how you pace.  I personally find no
problem with that concept.  I also agree that we are looking at options for
the sake of the HORSE, not for the ease of RMs, ride secretaries, or anybody
else, although I don't think this would be as tough to implement in terms of
ride personnel and paperwork as some detractors think.  That said, the only
reason I can imagine that might be sufficient not to try this is if we had a
properly designed look at sufficient data that indicated it would have no
effect.  I do agree with those who say that it won't catch 'em all--but my
response to that argument is that no tool catches 'em all, and any tool that
catches a few more before harm is done is a good tool.

Don't wimp on me now, Jim--you lambasted me for not "signing" the
thing--hey, I've supported it wholeheartedly, but it needs to apply to ALL
horses in ALL placings if we really want it to do what it is intended to do.
:-)  (I'll add the smiley face so some folks don't think I'm being mean to
Jim...)

Heidi