Re: [RC] Mathew Mckay proposal - Jim Holland

oddfarm wrote:

I myself have not jumped the band wagon on this proposal. Will I be
flogged?

Probably.....Truman, will you do the honors? "Forty Lashes With Dental
Floss", as Joan would say! :)

Jim, you yourself said that letting the riders call the shots while
on
the trail is not working and yet Dr. McKay proposes to do just that.
He proposes to let riders continue, but only if they slow down because
they are only going to get a completion. Who is going to police that??
By the way, does anyone know if his definition of completion includes
mileage? Because if you pay to ride, and you complete, you had better
get the mileage, don't you think?

The only thing Matthew's proposal does is to reduce the INTENSITY LEVEL
of competition at the highest level. It polices itself. NOTHING else
changes. Has nothing to do with mileage. "Completion" in this proposal
simply means you're no longer in the "Top Ten". Unless you are in the
Top Ten, a rider will see NOTHING different from current rules. You
still get a numerical place, and points and mileage as usual and you
have 30 minutes at each Vet Check to recover. Keep in mind that if you
are not in the Top Ten, then AERC points are the same, whether you are
11th or 101st.

As I understand it, Matthew's proposal does not apply to Weight
Divisions, so if you race for say, First Lightweight, you still have the
regular 30 minutes to recover....no penalty. For example, you could get
bumped out of the Top Ten for a recovery over 15 minutes, but STILL win
First Lightweight and get your Weight Division and Completion Points as
usual.

If you RACE....run hard enough to be in the Top Ten overall, you would
now have to temper your "racing inclination" with the knowledge that you
have to meet a smaller "pulse window"...15 minutes...at every Vet Check
and at the finish. If you miss one, you will still get completion miles
and points just as you would if you finished but not IN the Top Ten.
This would discourage overriding, but not take away the opportunity to
race (or even learn to race) and lose your completion because you chose
to do so.  Race if you want to....but you must now condition your horse
better, find a better horse, or ride slower to meet this criteria. All
these are beneficial effects. If you do not ride in the Top Ten, this
proposal simply would not apply to you...business as usual.

Fit to continue is so much more appropriate for what we are trying to
accomplish. If we want to tighten up the "pulse window" than make it
tight. Give it some backbone.  A compromise would be to put into place
a 20 minute pulse time and those who don't make it, get pulled.
Period. If the horse hasn't met that parameter, why in the world would
we want to rely on the rider, (since you say that isn't working) to
continue on but slow down? That doesn't make any sense. And for those
who say their horse can't possibly make that window of opportunity for
what ever reasons, I disagree.

But Lisa, IMHO, it DOES make sense. Everybody has to "learn" this sport.
It's difficult to run "up front" and still protect your horse. This
proposal would make it easier for our vets...take some of the pressure
off them when evaluating marginal horses. If a rider comes whooping into
the first Vet Check with a horse that doesn't recover in 15 minutes,
then that rider gets to relax and trail ride the rest of the day...no
chance of a Top Ten, no point in going fast.  Just finish and you get
all benefits as usual except those associated with a Top Ten overall.
Try again next time if you like. Self policing rule.

I don't believe most members want to eliminate racing and a tighter
pulse window that applies to everyone would elimnate a lot of horses
that, although they have been completing with NO problems, will now be
just "marginal" even at safe speeds for that horse.

Here's an example:

(With apologies to Flinn....no offense...Abe is a great little horse...I
did a lot of his early training)

Flinn Anderson's horse S.A. MR LINCOLN (aka "Abe") is a nice little
Arabian that has over 1000 miles in competition with Flinn, including a
100 and a National Championship 50 mile completion. Abe is slow to
recover normally, never in the Top Ten...but if you ride him within his
capabilities, I think he could easily do multi-days without breaking a
sweat.

Abe would be one of those horses, and I know there are many others, who
would be a marginal Endurance horse and might have difficulty meeting
time criteria under harsh conditions if you lowered the pulse window to
20 minutes for everyone. Perhaps in the future, this would be
worthwhile. IMHO, this is too radical a change and penalizes
riders...and horses...who are NOT part of this problem.

The horses that are truly able to compete should pass with flying
colors, the ones that can't, will just have to go a little slower to
begin with. I think we can all agree that any horse can do this
discipline, therefore offering everyone the same opportunity to ride.
But they can't all do it at the same level. That has to be accepted by
riders who ride horses of different breeds. It all goes back to
training and conditioning and if your horse can't go the speed and
distance you want, either slow down or get another horse that can. How
does that saying go? Lord, please help me accept what I cannot
change.......

That's certainly true, but we don't want to make it HARDER to
participate in this sport and we want to keep it open to as many breeds
as possible. I would be happy to ride under a pulse window of 15
minutes. Sunny has proven he can do that and consistently Top Ten....but
not all horses can. At the TOP of the performance curve is where we have
the problem. Yes, I'm sure horses who are "completers" get into trouble
as well...but I don't believe dropping the pulse window to 20 minutes
overall would fix that.

If a horse isn't fit to continue within 20 minutes, how will 10 more
minutes make him more fit??

It won't, of course....but on the other hand, the 30 minutes is an
arbitrary number anyway. Why don't we just drop it to 10 minutes? I
could meet that also, as could many Top Ten horses, but now it's just
the elite horses who could play. I don't want to "change Endurance as we
know it". I like it the way it is....but like NASCAR had to do, we need
to add a "restrictor plate" in order to reduce the chance of a fatal
"accident" at high speeds.

Reread the proposal again and think about it....

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic