Re: [Fwd: Re: [RC] New Poll up] - John Teeter

> One person, one vote, majority rules, and your opinion doesn't count any more than mine or anybody else.

OT: AERC doesn't work that way. Representative (rather than direct) Democracy. So your vote counts a little less than Mine (b/c SE is a little smaller than NW) and we both count about twice as much as someone in PS and half as much as someone in SW. Plus, the only people that vote on anything are elected board members (minus the one elected board member who happens to be president) (and one of the NW regional directors happen to be pres, then my voting power is cut in half:(. So trying to hook people expressing opinions to votes is not to relevant. On the other hand, I value different peoples opinions differently, as do you:)

> If you're not part of the "horse death" solution, you're part of the problem.

Part of the horse death solution is for each member to actively participate in the appropriate management of their mounts before, during, and after competition. Every member that does the right thing IS part of the ongoing solution.

There are a large number of (potential) further refinements to that base solution which might be explored (and very few of these have been discussed).

IMO, excessively applying labels or categories which paint this as black-or-white re: a single solution de jour is a distraction. We have (in AERC):

* the Committee for the Welfare of the Horse
* the VET committee evolving their Equine Fatality Reporting procedures
* all vets and RMs sending in Treatment reports to the office (of course, we
don't yet know what happens to them after they are submitted),
* proposed modifications to the (currently not required!!) gate-to-hold protocol
* the education committee (et.all) producing a new riders handbook
* real data analysis underway to help with myth.vs.real evaluation
* more use of the Protest and Grievance mechanism
and
* your own work (through your regional group) concerning training and conditioning education.

All the voices add to the cacophony through which the sport will evolve forward. But, because the rider is alone with their mount for 80%-90% of the time of competition, ALL administrative constraints will be after-the-fact-oversight and much to large grained to fully address the problem. ONLY the rider is there 100% of the time and ONLY the rider should be held responsible in the end.

Consider a solution which says that if the rider fails to ride appropriately, then they will simply be DQd. Use all the criteria which have evolved (including the one currently under discussion), but in the end, if the Vet (or RM or P&R person) determines that the rider should have pulled their mount but didn't, then they are DQd. In other words, ALL pulls should be RO (the vet should NEVER have to pull a horse and if they do have to, then it is a DQ not a pull). A DQ is the result of a rider not doing the right thing. Any RO is a rider doing the right thing (after MAYBE having done the wrong thing).

Any rider that consistently DQs is in jeopardy of being restricted from competitions (i.e denied entry for cause as is allowed in the current rules).

> one of the problems with this organization is that the people making the decisions have been doing
> that for too long.

That is likely true, the positive effects of longevity (continuity and historical perspective), are very like more than offset by an inability to accept change in an unbiased way coupled with long bred parochial world views.

johnt

(btw: on the particular issue of the modification of the pulse criteria measurement, It seems to me that it may affect the slow down of riders who have a pending problem. Not all problems will be noticed, (for example, Adios at the PanAm would not have been effected by this rule as he pulsed down within the suggested 15 min interval). I think in conjunction with extending the hold time, requiring an exit CRI, and removing the hold times from the overall competition time should also be integrated into the solution...)