Re: [RC] New Poll up - John Teeter

At 11:17 AM 11/21/2003, Truman Prevatt wrote:
> We don't know what the mortality rate of the population of endurance horses

As Bob points out frequently, the mortality rate of the population of endurance horses is 100%:(

> We have a "zero tolerance" drug policy ...

but many drugs are deemed ok (see the ok list) and the drug testing protocol is not one which ensures 100% compliance with this policy. Zero tolerance is really enforced by honorable members policing them selves.

IMO, any forward movement towards better management of our mounts must come from the individual riders and their ability to do the right thing. When someone doesn't do the right thing, (and remember the right thing is defined from an individual perspective) then the procedures put in place should provide the safety net for their mount. (you can override a horse in 2 miles ... so it is impossible that any modification of the periodic criteria evaluation (vet gate) approach will completely eliminate problems associated with doing the wrong thing...)

In a perfect world, there is no need for vet gates/holds as all the riders will do what is correct for the mounts. They would stop when needed(when there is water and feed and need to recover/rest). then they would go on. The vet gate concept has evolved because all riders would not do the right thing.

99% (an arbitrarily chosen number) of our members do the right thing. 99% of our riders don't need or benifit from vet gates or CRIs or rigid rules concerning being at the starting line on time or only entering one event (oops that rule disappeared w/o notice??) etc. 0.999% of our members infrequently do not do the right thing. maybe .001% of our members consistently do the wrong thing.

There are many ways to deal with the problems which are caused by not doing the right thing. Whatever approaches are taken, one of the criteria for a good solution should be to minimize the impact the solution has on the 99% who do the right thing, to not overly react to those members that sometimes do the wrong thing, and to fully and completely correct members who consistently do the wrong thing.

hmmm. New Rule 14: members who are deemed to consistently do the wrong thing (as arbitrarily and unquestionably determined by the Sanctioning Director Zar of their home region since that person already has unquestionable responsibilities) will be required to ride in the Junior Division until such time as they stop consistently doing the wrong thing.

jt.