Fw: [RC] comp rides and pulse - larry Miller

Subject: Re: [RC] comp rides and pulse

I have been riding competitive since 1970.  Yes in the mid 70s I was on a ride in which 2 horses died.  One on trail, and the other back at camp.  And about 10 more were treated with fluids.  Both were because of stupidity of the owners and the fact that the heat index was way out of sight.  It simply was lack of knowledge, the game was new then.  But in the 80s, I saw another horse basically founder after a 3 day 100, again in fairly high temps.  The owner refused treatment because she wanted her completion and a week later the horse died at home.  So it can happen on competitive too.  It is true that most of the time one doesn't see it as horses go at a more reasonable pace.  But these horses were not fit to do what they did.  So the main idea behind the pulse suggestion applies to competitive too.  I have ridden under ECTRA rules, Ohio rules, IAHA rules, and now UMECRA rules.  We do go a tad faster than most NATRAC rules, maybe 7 mph.  But as far as I can see, competitive and endurance are basically the same except for those in endurance who run in the front.  One HAS to have the horse conditioned for the distance no matter how fast one chooses to go.  I like to start my guys in competitive because it is a more reasonable pace and is  wonderful training for the horse, but the homework must be done.  Besides, that little devil doesn't do any good sitting on my shoulder.  If the horse can't recover reasonably in the 10 minutes, then the homework of conditioning was not done. Jeanie