Re: [RC] comp rides and pulse - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 11/20/2003 7:28:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, jcmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I have seen comp horses die at comp rides.  Granted the weather was VERY hot and humid with the heat index out of sight.  But again, the problem was the fitness of the horse.  Have seen horses come down with laminitis at a comp ride too.  About the only difference between comp and end is the speed of the front runners.

What type of "comp" ride are you referring to?  By "comp" I'm assuming you mean Competitive Trail Ride......CTR.....not sure what you mean.  I have competed in NATRC for the last 15 years or so and never seen nor heard of a horse dying at a ride and I've seen extremely few metabolic problems as well.  I really do think that our parameters for recovering (10 minutes to get 64 or you are held for an additional 10 minutes) and THAT time is added on to your overall ride time so you don't have to push your horse to "make up" time are important factors in why we don't have the equine fatality rate.

Granted going 50 miles in one day versus 60 in two days is a different stress factor to the horse.  I've done both and even some 100 milers....I see NATRC as an awesome training ground for people who want to learn how to do distance riding and also for people who want to "compete" without "racing".  So, let's not lump all "comp" riding into one group.  I also think the fact that the Tevis Board is recognizing NATRC miles as qualifying miles says alot.

Sylvia