[RC] Trailers - Jonni Jewell

1)  There is one hook/loop per stall above the window.  <snip>The question
is, do you hang the hay net from the same hook?

You can always have a welder add rings to hang things from in your trailer.
I added extra rings above the horse to hand a hag bag. Also added rings to
the walls and divider recently to install the canvas corner feeders. Use the
trailer awhile, then see if there are places you want rings. Mark with tape.
I had the welder use links of chain, big enough to hook thick snaps in.
Works great.

2)  Do you always put shavings down?

I personally always do. Have done so for years. If you work about the
shavings blowing around, dampen them before heading out, put fly masks on
horses, and use very BIG fluffy, dust free shavings. Keeps the urine and
manure moisture from seeping between rubber mats, and on to wood floor.

3)  What type of hay bag is best/safest?

What I no longer use are the hay nets. Most hay bags work well. I like the
big hay bags that Trail-rite makes. But as mentioned above, I have added
rings. I also hang a bucket with beet pulp on long hauls.

4)  What type of trailer ties does everyone like?

Don't like the elastic bungee ties at all. Have seen more problems with them
than not. The will stretch a LONG ways. And if you need to undo one that a
horse is pulling against, clear the area, as it is going to snap back real
fast when that snap is undone. I have trailer ties that I made from lead
ropes, with a snap on each end. I prefer the safety snaps at both ends. Make
sure they will snap around those big tie rings most trailers have. I leave
the lead rope on the horse when I trailer. Many folks take them off. I fold
the rope into a loop, and toss over neck. The loop hangs down the off side
of the neck, and I reach under neck, grab loop, and drop the loose end of
the lead rope through the loop. These stay on the horse well, but if you
must grab the rope quickly, the end frees itself from loop, and you have a
hold of the horse. Trailering 25 years with the lead ropes left on the
horses, and have never had a problem. I want that rope to grab horse in an
emergency.

Jonni