Re: [RC] [Guest] trailers - Vicki Austin

Hi Trish,   I can only speak for myself
but..............I have only had bad experiances with
slant loads and would not have one unless I could
change it into a streight load.  I personally like a
streight load with my horses headed in the direction
we are going.  I cannot imagaine riding backwards as
some force their horses to do, and
sideways..............years ago one of my horses was
sick and lame for a week after riding in a slantload
for 5 hours, and this horse had never had a colic in
all the years I had him, he couldn't even be ridden
once we got to where we were going, had to stay there
until he was well to come home.  He was just
uncomfortable and he even looked very stressed.  My
horses are perfectly happy the regular old fashioned
way.

I also do not like stock trailers. They are noisy, to
airy and inconvient to load and unload.  I do however
like a trailer with the back upper doors off for
ventalation, in stead of shutting the whole thing up.
My trailer has double walls and seems to be very cool
in the summer and warm in the winter even though there
is no back upper doors.  I have a curtain instead it I
really need to close things up.

Also whatever trailer you decide on make sure it has
the rubber suspension system.  Makes for a much
quieter, smoother ride for your horses, plus if you
have a blow out you will be able to get to a station
to fix it and not be stranded.  I have never had to
try this out but that is what the manual says anyway.

Although my trailer needs work now (I bought it new in
91) I still would not part with it unless I could get
one made the same way.   It is a Sterling two horse
streight load (warmblood size).  Well padded, thick
mats, light and airy, lots of head room, huge windows
on the sides grilled and screened and one in the front
also grilled and screened. Never have had a horse
refuse to load in it.

I don't consider it a fancy trailer by any means.  It
is a plain jane.  We sleep in the back (on cots) when
we go to rides (or in a tent depending on how long we
are staying)   It works for us, and wasn't pricy as
some can be, and cheap to register as well.  You pay
extra to register a goosneck, even if it is only a two
horse.  Friends of ours have to pay four times as much
simply because theirs is a gooseneck trailer.

I guess it depends on what you want and how much you
want to spend etc.

Good luck in your search.  Buy new so you don't start
with someone elses troubles.  It is worth it.
--- Ridecamp Moderator
<ridecamp-moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Trish Nelson fourxblessed@xxxxxxxx
We are shopping for a trailer but have heard some
bad things about slant
loads causing right front lameness, and that the
angle the horse is at
plays some role (less than 45 degrees being bad).
What is the best
direction for the horse to face for long hauls? This
would be a 2 horse
gooseneck probably about 15 feet box length. Also,
is it better for the
horse to have a stock type w/slat sides or the
"fancy" stuff with the windows?

[Moderator: Rember to change the To line when you
reply:) ]

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree