[RC] [Guest] Good Hay! - Ridecamp Moderator

Tammy Tshuck64@xxxxxxx
I am a long time reader of Ridecamp and have learned a lot over the years. Recently I have been reading up on nutrition and relize that I probaly have not been feeding my horse properly. Ive had no real problems with this but he has had a couple episodes of mild gas colic so I am always worried. I was feeding straight alfalfa. We grow and put up about 1500 ton of alfalfa a year with the dairy market in mind. We have our hay tested and the crude protein is around %20 and higher. We also put up what we call a forage mixture with is oats, beardless wheat and beardless barley. We have never had a sample done on this as in this area it is considered a cattle feed although we have a few locals who feed it to horses. Well after reading in the archives I have decided this is probably a much better feed for my horse. This next year we will be putting up about 200 ton of this hay and I am wondering if any of you think there is a market for it in the endurance world. I am looking for input, we could acually grow any mixture that people might be interested in. We currently put hay in big bales (1200-1500lbs) but we are looking for a new market and will be getting a small baler. What size bale do people like? 2 twine,3 twine and what weight do you look for? We are located in the Klamath Basin in Southern Oregon. Any imput would be greatly appeciated.

[Moderator: Rember to change the To line when you reply:) ]