Re: [RC] Trails or not trails...Need input - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

I guess that I needed to be a bit more exact in my question, because I have no problems with the conditioning in the desert...it's the competition in the desert that is bothering me. For conditioning, yes, we are definitely finding that the horses need time to build up the tendons. Unfortunately, most riders don't like to ride anywhere except the desert, and I wonder if the horses get enough concussion to help build up bone just working in sand...but that's another question. Personally, I like using a mix of desert and farm road, but I'm a minority of about one.

I was more concerned about using raw sand, so to speak, as a surface for competition. Even an old track has more of a firm base than plane sand....sort of like competing in snow. This is why the UAE guys have these 4 x 4's run ahead of them in sand races, to pack it down a bit.

Maryanne
Egypt