From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Maryanne Stroud
Gabbani
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 3:20 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Trails or not trails...Need input

Last week, before I got the flu and bronchitis that's had me
in bed all
week, I sat with the people who have started the Egyptian
Endurance
Riding Association.  They started this group about the
second year of
the UAE/FEI endurance inundation here to provide an
alternative format
for rides.  They haven't done much really and they asked me
to come
into the group to handle the webpage, educational articles
and
scheduling....ie about everything to do with contact and
organisation.
I told them that I would come in gradually with the website
and
planning and such over the next year until I've made my move
to my new
place and hopefully have some more time for this.

One of the things that had time to nag at me this week is an
issue that
I suspect has enormous impact on our horses.  When we ride
in the
desert here, we have NO trails....that's right, nothing but
plain sand
and rocks and more sand.  You are hard pressed to ride in
exactly the
same places as last time even if you want to because there
are so few
markers to go by. When they have rides/races, the course is
marked by
poles jammed into the sand with flags on them, but the
"track" is
non-existent.  There are a few places in our desert where
there are
dirt tracks that could be followed for a while, but nothing
that goes
anywhere you want to go.  Digesting a few years of ride
stories and
looking over photo pages, I realise that even the desert
rides in the
US use dirt tracks or tracks of some sort for the trail,
right?  This
is what I need to know, because riders here tend to ride in
the style
of the more "experienced" visitors, who I believe are not
usually
riding in the same terrain.

So I have really a sort of stupid question here:  Does
ANYONE ride
without any trail whatsoever?  If so, where and when?   I
believe that
there are a lot of tendons relying on this answer and I may
have some
serious changes to encourage in riding patterns.  The
footing in a
sandy track is not at all the footing in virgin desert, if
you will
excuse the expression.

Maryanne
Cairo, Egypt