[RC] Mustangs - Carol Stiles

An old  friend of mine is giving me a hard time for not jumping in on this thread, so here goes nothing, just a little history... I had one of the first mustangs adopted out by the BLM. Number 7 as a matter of fact. She was a gorgeous seal bay, 15.2 hands, built like a Morgan with a very deep athletic chest, arched neck, and a refined head. The old cowboy who trained her for a month told me when he was growing up in Nevada, the ranchers would occasionally release a high quality stallion to improve the local stock of mustangs because they used them as ranch horses. I don't have any doubt that if I had used her for endurance she would have excelled at it. She could go for miles without ever breaking into a sweat. She did not have any conformational flaws. I was once offered several thousand dollars for her by a rancher who wanted to improve his breeding stock, but couldn't bear parting with her. So to generalize and say all mustangs have poor conformation is ridiculous. One cannot generalize like that for a whole breed. Every animal is an individual. As far as mustangs being hard to handle, I guess it depends on your level of experience.