[RC] Riding To a Top Ten.. - Karen

Horses die with a similar % that *aren't* going fast or in the top ten on rides. They can die no matter what speed or pace they are ridden. Nobody should think that just because they aren't riding fast or in the top ten that their horses are immune to encountering a problem. If you ride fast then you get labeled a racer. If you ride slow people think something is wrong or that your horse isn't capable. It's really rather ridiculous. There are lots of riders who do both well, or a combination of both without encountering problems. That doesn't mean that it won't happen because it does happen to experienced riders and horses. We just have to pay more attention to when things aren't right and stop.

While riding at Coso last weekend we came up with an idea, it would be to recognize the horse that puts up with the most from it's rider. It is, afterall---about the horse. There are some horses who are pretty incredible just based upon what they have done for their riders, what they tolerate, what they put up with, how they handle everything. The first one on the list we came up with is Trilby's horse Beau. Because, he takes care of her and goes thru all sorts of terrain -- she never gets off and he gets her thru the most steep, scary, slippery trails without breaking a sweat. He may get ridden thousands of miles and get into the kind of shape and condition that most people only dream about for their horses, and then he still is only allowed to walk most of the time. He has probably never cantered, and a 12 hour workday is almost always mandatory for him. These horses thrive in spite of their riders and have hearts of gold. I'll let everybody make up their own list of horses that they think are the most special.

Happy Trails,
Karen
in NV