Re: [RC] New Horse Goals - Heidi Smith

Angie said:  Feedback please. Let's say you are a new rider, or an old rider with a
new horse, or someone who wants to move up to 50's from LD. You need a
first year goal.  What's a good one? It mustn't be an automatic success
for you or it will be meaningless. It must reward all the things we claim
we want to encourage the first year.

Drin said:  Well I started a new horse this year , my 6 year old that I raised . I did 5 50's on her all very slow and my goal Angie is to see how many miles I can get on her without a pull .  PNER has an award which I believe is called " horse of the future" for a newly started horse that has the most completions in a row without a pull but it is only good for rides in their region.

First of all, I don't think ANY success in this sport is "automatic"--just some successes take more work than others.

Second, as for first-year goals--I think they SHOULD be quite attainable, as the horse should not be pushed too hard too soon.  My first year goal with any new horse is somewhere between 3 and 5 rides (50s), depending on his age and his previous experience and conditioning.  Even if this is easy for most of them, it isn't meaningless, because it is an important part of their foundation.

Third, without having a look at my PNER handbook, I think the PNER "Horse of the Future" award is for second year horses--and that is appropriate, because IMO, a first year horse shouldn't be taken out with the frequency that racking up the completions implies.  But for a second year horse, to put the emphasis on consecutive completions instead of speed is a good thing.  After a second year of more miles, then in the third year it is time to speed up.

Heidi