Re: [RC] related to hauling -(heads out windows) - Jim Holland

Barb, I've commented privately to several people on this, and this will
be my last post on this subject, which was NOT the subject I originally
posted on.

EVERYTHING is a "risk", including life.  Putting your horse on the
trailer is a "risk", taking an unconditioned (or untrained) horse to a
ride is a "risk". DOING the ride is a "risk". The safest thing would be
to leave him in the pasture, but then he could be hit by lightening.

Each individual makes decisions based on whatever "risk factor" they are
willing to accept.  It varies with different people. My scale varies
from HIGH being "live fire in combat" to LOW being "getting up in the
morning", which has gotten considerably harder as I get older! :)

In the SE, it is very hot and humid....unless you air condition your
trailer, pulling slowly in the heat can make the best trailer an
oven....and
sometimes even at speed. The "risk factor" for me in leaving the doors
down with screens up is very low.  I have done it for MANY years with no
problems and will continue to do so. I leave the screens open as well
under what I consider "safe conditions" to let them stick their heads
out when the opporutnity presents itself for several reasons. It lets
them drop their heads, snort and clear their noses, the air is fresher
when we are moving slowly, it improves air flow in the trailer, and they
are happier. A horse does not like close, confined spaces....it's a
chance to relax for a few minutes. The trade-off is well worth what I
consider a "low risk" possibility of injury. On the other hand, I would
NEVER haul my horses down the Interstate...or even in low traffic
areas...with their heads out. That's a "too high a risk". Only an idiot
would do that.

This is a "personal choice" decision....don't really care whether anyone
on Ridecamp likes or dislikes it, nor am I interested in discussing it
further, or "setting an example".  I won't change my mind about the way
I haul my horses.

Compared to all these open stock trailers flying down the interstate
with horses just standing tied to the rails (usually wearing saddles),
the people who haul their horses in trailers with rotted floor boards,
those who won't take the time to teach their horses to load/unload
properly, MEVER check to see if their trailer ball is tight, and dozens
of other "dangerous" practices my horses are ultra-safe! And I do NOT
consider it a bad example. I RECOMMEND screens.  They work well. No bird
is going to fly through them, properly installed, horses can't push
their heads through them, either. I don't like the grills...in an
emergency, I can cut away or rip out the screens.  You can't do that
with jammed and bent grills. As to "heads out the window", yes, there is
a risk.....but IMO, the benefits outweigh the risks as long as you use
good judgement.  My rule is "when in doubt, don't".

"Nuff said" and all I'm gonna say. If you want to haul with your doors
closed, fine. I prefer mine open with screens.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

"McGann, Barb" wrote:

Jim,

What about the "setting an example"/education side of this.  What if there
are lesser experienced horsepeople watching you leave ride camp with the
horses heads out the window - they may not know that you stop at the end of
the single track.  They then say to themselves, "Well, there goes Jim
Holland, a respected experienced horseman and he's letting the horses hang
out.  I'm going to try that - I'm sure my horse would love it."

Also, people let it escalate.  It worked fine on the dirt single-track, might
as well leave it open while we go down this two-lane, but still gravel,
lightly travelled road (haven't seen over 3 cars going by in hours).  Then
that works OK, so it might be alright to leave it down on this paved, but
slow back country windy road that I won't drive over 45 on.  That worked OK.
Oops, we are now on the 60 mile per hour highway, but I haven't found a place
to pull off yet!