Re: [RC] related to hauling -(heads out windows) - DarkHorseGoddess

The screens are just like regular size "window screens", but heavier
material...very tough. My hay stays in place very nicely with the screens up.
(I
never drive faster than about 30mph with "heads out the window")

A few years ago in MN, someone was driving down the road with the trailer
windows open and the horses heads sticking out. When they got to the state
park,
the driver's wife got out to unload the horses, and she discovered the horse
in the front stall.... dead. The horse in the second stall...dying.

Now, I was not at the park when this happen, but my friend Dawn was, and she
told me that the dead horse's head was missing, and the other horse had half
his head caved in, his neck was broken, the horse was down in the trailer and
barely alive, a Vet had to be called in to euthanize him. She said the inside
of the trailer was like a blood bath, and the side of the trailer was smeared
with blood and horse hair.

It was thought that a semi truck in the opposite lane came to close to
trailer, and clipped the horse's head. The trailer's driver did not know his
horses
had been killed & injured, until he got to the state park, and went to unload
his horses.  Dawn said the driver's wife was hysterical and had to be driven
into town to the ER.

Now.....IMHO, anyone who chooses to drive their trailer, and allow their
horse's head to stick out while the rig is moving, is an accident and injury
waiting too happen. What about the flying debris off the road?

I do not have nylon screens on my trailer windows, I have metal grates. I
prefer those over the screens. My thoughts are that I want grates over my
windows, cuz I do not want my horse to be able to "push" the screens out, or in
the
event of a rollover/accident I want my horse contain inside my trailer, I do
not want them flying out of a screen window. Anywho, that is just my opinion.

Please think about your horse's safety, and do not let their heads hang out
while your rig is moving.